North Suburban Branch Standing Rules
(Revised: September 1989, amended January 2005, revised March 2011, revised January 2023)
This branch shall conform to the Constitution and Bylaws of the Chicago Dental Society. Its organization shall be in accordance with the current By-Laws of the Chicago Dental Society.
Section 1. Officers
The officers shall consist of President, Treasurer, Vice President, and Secretary, in that order. All officers, with the exception of the President, shall be elected annually, and in that order.
Section 2. Branch Director
The North Suburban Branch shall elect one member every three (3) years, at the regular election, to serve as the member of the Board of Directors of the Chicago Dental Society.
Section 3. Vacancies
In the event any elective officer shall become vacant, the Board of Directors shall appoint an active member in good standing to fill such office for the unexpired term, or until a qualified successor is duly elected except as otherwise provided in these standing rules.
A. President: The Vice President shall succeed to the office of President in the case of vacancy for any cause.
B. Vice President: There shall be no appointment of the Vice President but rather this office shall be filled by a regular election or special election called for that purpose.
Section 4. Duties Of Officers
A. President: The President shall preside at all meetings; shall serve as Chairman of the Board of Directors; may countersign checks for the disbursement of funds in payment of Society expenses in accordance with accounting regulations and procedures established by the Board of Directors; may issue calls for special meetings upon the President’s initiative and must issue calls for special meetings when demanded in accordance with Article VI, Section 2 of the Constitution of the Chicago Dental Society: shall have the power to fill vacancies on all committees not otherwise provided for in these Standing Rules; and shall perform such other duties as usually pertains to the office of President, and shall be an ex- officio member of all committees.
B. Treasurer: The Treasurer shall be custodian of all funds and monies of this Society. The Treasurer shall (1) cause to be deposited with a depository, selected by the Board of Directors, all monies of this Society; (2) sign checks for the disbursement of funds in payment of Society expenses in accordance with accounting regulations established by the Board; (3) submit the books and accounts for audit to the three (3) Branch Directors; and (4) turn over to the successor all books, papers, records, and other properties of this office at the termination of the tenure thereof.
C. Vice President: The Vice President shall assist the President in performance of the President’s duties and shall preside in the absence of the President. The Vice President shall succeed to the office of President if that office be vacated for any reason.
D. Secretary: The Secretary shall conduct the business of this society which is not otherwise assigned. The Secretary shall (1) be responsible for adequate records; (2) notify members of appointments to committees; (3) serve as Secretary of the Board of Directors; (4) shall turn over to the Secretary’s successor all books, papers, records, and other properties of this office at the termination of the tenure thereof.
Section 5. Elections
A. Elections (Time and Place): The annual elections of officers shall be held at the next to last regular meeting, and the installation of said officers shall be held at the last regular meeting of the fiscal year.
- Report of the nominating committee
- By petition in writing of at least 25 members in good standing not less than 30 days prior to the annual election.
C. Manner of voting: In the event of a contest for any or all of the elective offices, voting shall be by written secret ballot. The form of the ballot shall be approved by the Board of Directors. If there is no contest for any of the elective offices, the President shall direct the Secretary to cast an unanimous ballot on behalf of all of the candidates for the offices to which they have been nominated.
D. Notice of election: Publication in the official publication of the Society of a written notice postmarked at least 15 days in advance of the election shall constitute adequate notice to the membership.
E. Tabulation of votes: IN all contested elections, tellers shall be appointed by the President at the time of election. They shall tabulate the votes and report to the President immediately.
Section 1. Governing Body
The governing body of this branch shall be a Board of Directors consisting of the officers, three (3) branch directors, the North Suburban Director to the Chicago Dental Society, and one (1) at-large member. The Branch Directors shall be the three (3) immediate past presidents of this branch. Each shall serve a term of three (3) years. The at-large member shall serve a one (1) year term and shall be appointed by the current Board of Directors. If a vacancy occurs for a Branch Director, it shall be filled by appointment by the Board of Directors of the Branch.
Section 2. Meetings of the Board
An annual meeting of the Board of Directors shall be held sometime after the installation of officers and prior to the first regularly scheduled business meeting of the next fiscal year.
Section 3. Rules of Order
The current edition of Sturgis Standard Code of Parliamentary Procedure shall govern the deliberations of this Branch in all cases to which they are applicable and consistent with the Standing Rules.
Section 4. Order of Business
The order of business of regular meetings of this Branch shall be as follows:
- Reading of the minutes of the previous meeting
- Reports of the Boards and Standing Committees
- Reports of Special Committees
- Unfinished business
- New business
- Special Programs
The order of business may be changed by a two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote of the members present at any meeting.
Section 1. Committees
A. Standing Committees. The following standing committees shall be approved annually by the Board of Directors except for the nominating committee. Each committee shall have a chairman, vice chairman, and secretary, appointed annually by the President, Vice-President, and Secretary of the Branch and in that order. The other committee members are assigned by the Director and the three (3) senior officers for one- to three-year terms.
- Peer Review*
- Branch Correspondent
B.*The chairman of the ethics, peer review, mediation, and membership committees are appointed by the Chicago Dental Society Director with the recommendation of the three senior officers, and shall also serve on the equivalent of the Chicago Dental Society committees.
C.**The Nominating Committee shall consist of the three immediate past presidents; the most immediate past president shall serve as the chairman.
Section 2. Special Committees
Special committees may be appointed by the President with the concurrence of the Board of Directors, and the President shall appoint such committees at the direction of the Board of Directors.
Section 3. Duties of Committees
Each committee chairman shall call at least one meeting a year. All committee members shall be expected to attend.
- Ethics: This committee shall investigate all applications for membership and make its reports and recommendations to the Chicago Dental Society. This committee shall investigate all complaints or charges with respect to the conduct of its members; it may also originate complaints against members for misconduct.
- Peer Review: This committee shall review matters concerning, but not limited to, fees, utilization and quality of care. This committee has been formed by the dental society in order to review actions of its members in matters such as those stated above, or requests from either a third-party carrier, a patient, or the dentist. The committee will also evaluate cases referred to it by the mediation committee or ethics committee and report their findings to the referring committee.
- Mediation: This committee is one of conciliation; its purpose is to encourage the patient and doctor to settle disputes amicably. If this committee is unable to resolve the complain of a patient in a reasonable length of time, the chairman may refer this case to the Peer Review committee.
- Membership: This committee shall endeavor to retain existing members and recruit potential members for this branch in accordance with membership qualifications listed in the Chicago Dental Society Constitution. This committee shall endeavor to encourage members to attend regular and special meetings.
- Nominating: This committee shall prepare a slate of officers, naming at least on candidate for each of the several offices. It shall make a report to the Board of Directors at least 30 days prior to the election, in order to give notice of election in accordance with Article II, Section 5- D of the Standing Rules.
- Program: This committee shall arrange for and have charge of the professional program presented at the regular meetings of the Branch.
- Dinner: This committee shall encourage attendance at dinners preceding our regular meetings. It shall have complete charge of the ticket sales in advance of each season. It shall have charge of the registration of members and guests at regular and special meetings, and shall pass upon the credentials of all persons seeking admission thereto.
- Branch Correspondent: This committee shall submit announcements, photographs, and new items concerning this Branch and its members to the editor of the official magazine of the Chicago Dental Society for publication therein.
A minimum of five (5) meetings of the Branch shall be held in any fiscal year, at such date, time and place as may be determined by the President with the approval of the Board of Directors.
Amendment of Standing Rules
The Standing Rules of this Branch may be amended or revised by a two-thirds (2/3) affirmative vote of the active members present at any regular meeting, provided that the proposed changes shall have been presented, in writing, at any regular or special meeting at least thirty (30) days prior to the meeting at which such action is requested. Such proposed amendments or revision shall be published in the official publication of this Society at least (10) days prior, or written notice postmarked at least fifteen (15) days before the time of such meeting.
Submitted by the Ad Hoc Committee for Revisions of Standing Rules, April 1, 1989
- Paul Fischl
- David Fulton
- Bernard Grothaus
- David Potts
- Jane W. Selbe, Chair