February 2020 is National Children’s Dental Health Month
Teach your students about the importance of good oral hygiene with help from the Chicago Dental Society. We provide free dental supplies to qualifying organizations in February to celebrate National Children’s Dental Health Month.
Did you know?
- Tooth decay is the number one most common chronic disease in children.
- 51 million school hours are lost each year to dental problems.
- Research shows that if a child’s tooth decay goes untreated, it can lead to tooth loss, speech problems and even loss of self-esteem.
Schools and nonprofit organizations only
Qualifying schools and nonprofit organizations, must complete a survey to request supplies. The deadline to request supplies was Friday, Dec. 20, 2019.
Requests are honored on a first-come, first-served basis. Supplies are limited. Only one request per school, please. No exceptions.
Supplies are provided free of charge to organizations that meet the following criteria.
- You are a school, childcare center or nonprofit serving children.
- You are located in Cook, Lake, or DuPage county.
CDS member dental offices only
- Donations are limited to current CDS members in Cook, Lake and DuPage counties only.
- We do not accept requests for supplies over the phone.
- Requests for donations are limited to one per member and are processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Email Rachel Schafer or call 312.836.7330.
Tools & Activities for Kids
Let’s work together to teach children good oral care
Oral Health Discussion Guides
These discussion guides are to help you prepare classroom lessons on oral health by grade level. Use these guides during National Children’s Dental Health Month each February and year-round, to teach students about the benefits of having a healthy and happy mouth.
- Let's Visit The Dentist (for grades K-3)
- Know Your Mouth (for grades K-3)
- Tooth Fairy (for grades K-3)
- Smile Power (for grades 2-4)
- Teeth Disease Injury (for grades 4-6)
- Brush Away Decay (for grades 4-6)
- Smile Appeal (for grades 5-8)
- Orthodontics (for grades 7-8)
- Teaching Dentistry to Special Needs Children
Activity sheets and coloring pages
- Coloring pages and activity sheets in English and Spanish from the American Dental Association
- Ideas for classroom presentations from the ADA
- CDS coloring sheets from the Chicago Dental Society