It’s that time of year when people start making plans for the new year. We set goals, and outline our plans for achieving them. CommunityHealth is Illinois’s largest volunteer-based medical facility providing free care for the uninsured, but it’s just the same as you and me.
Leaders outlined their goals for CommunityHealth’s two dental clinics a few weeks ago:
- Provide 2,500 visits at two locations: Englewood and West Town
- Cultivate health education relationships, such as through participation in CommunityHealth Diabetes Day and Oral Health Month (May) programming
- Continue an ongoing dental ER reduction project
- Track, monitor and report on treatment completion rates.
- Identify high-risk patients whose oral health is complicated by diabetes, cancer treatment, mental health medications (which might cause dry mouth), and wound healing issues.
- Recruit 50 percent more dentist volunteers (they currently have 18)
- Recruit 100 percent more hygienist volunteers (they currently have 4)
- Recruit 50 percent more dental assistants (they currently have 12).
CommunityHealth is proud to have served 32,000 uninsured men, women and children since its founding in 1993 – but think of what they can do if they attain those last three goals. Volunteers can sign up for as little as one four-hour shift per month.
For more information about volunteer opportunities at the West Town or Englewood dental clinics, contact CommunityHealth’s Kelly Tondini at 773.969.5923 or firstname.lastname@example.org.