ISDS Foundation offers a dentists support program for those battling alcohol and substance abuse.
The program is run by volunteers and strictly confidential. Services include education, support and access to professional assistance.
To find out more, download the ISDS Dentists Support Program brochure or call (800) 475-4737.
The program offers the following self-assessment.
Do You Need Help?
- Do you experience mood swings, become easily depressed, angry, or abusive?
- Has anyone become disturbed because of your behavior while you are drinking or using drugs?
- Have you ever tried to cut down on your drinking or drug use?
- Has anyone become annoyed about your drinking/drug use? (Prescription or illicit)
- Have you ever felt guilty about your drinking/drug use or related behaviors?
- Are you experiencing financial or legal problems, malpractice suit, or divorce, because of your drinking or drug use?
- Have you been arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs?
If you feel that you or a fellow member of the dental profession needs assistance, please call (800) 475-4737 for help. We will carefully and confidentially guide you or your colleague through the steps to wellness.
Does Someone You Love Need Help?
Oftentimes it is the families, colleagues, and friends who first notice something is wrong and are in a position to help. Be aware of the signs of alcohol and substance abuse.
- Disruption of the appointment schedule.
- Hostile, withdrawn, or unreasonable behavior toward patients and staff.
- Excessive ordering of drug supplies by mail or from local pharmacies.
- Patient complaints regarding dentist’s behavior.
- Unexplained absence from office or absence due to frequent illness.Inappropriate orders, prescriptions, or treatments.
- Deterioration in appearance and dress habits.
- Wearing long sleeves in warm weather.
- Frequent or unusual accidents.
- Isolated/withdrawn from community, dental society, and social activities.
- Embarrasing behaviors at private clubs, parties or other social events.
- Unpredictable or compulsive behavior.
- Arrests for driving under the influence, disorderly conduct, etc.