Do you remember the Ad Council? They were responsible for all the Public Service Announcements were remember from childhood:
- “Friends Don’t Let Friends Drive Drunk,”
- “A Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste”
- and, more recently “I am an American.”
The Ad Council has turned its attention to National Brush Day, which will be celebrated Nov. 1. The day after Halloween will be an ideal time to remind parents and children about the importance of good habits for healthy teeth.
The Ad Council is armed with facts like these:
- Dental decay is the most common chronic childhood disease
- Less than half of children brush their teeth twice a day
- In the United States, oral disease causes kids to miss 51 million school hours and their parents to lose 25 million work hours annually
- Dental decay affects 16.5 million children in the United States.
To combat these trends, the Ad Council is working with the Partnership for Healthy Mouths, Healthy Lives to supply parents with simple ways to improve their children’s oral health. They’re the same recommendations you give your own patients about how much toothpaste to use and when to start taking a child to the dentist. But they’ve also built a website.
2min2x.org offers a collection of free, two-minute videos— featuring characters from Sesame Street, Cartoon Network and My Kazoo —which kids can watch while brushing. The two-minute clips also help parents easily measure the amount of brushing time that is recommended by leading dental health experts.
Find your child’s favorite character there today.